Norwalk: 74°F
It's Relevant: Local News, Sports and Deals
Norwalk Edition
Change to: Stamford | Greenwich
 
Norwalk Fire Department provides Holiday safety tips


Special considerations for the season
By:
Norwalk, CT | Added on December 23, 2013 At 01:51 PM

With only a two days remaining until Christmas, the Norwalk Fire Department reminds residents to stay safe this holiday season with these holiday safety tips. 

1.    Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.

2.    Do not overload electrical outlets. Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets and plug only one high-wattage appliance into each outlet at a time.

3.    Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights. More than three strands may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.

4.    Keep tree fresh by watering daily. Dry trees are a serious fire hazard. Watch this video to see how quickly a fire can spread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtjGfr0tYs)

5.    Use battery-operated candles. Candles start almost half of home decoration fires

6.    Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources. A heat source that was too close to the decoration was a factor in half of home fires that began with decorations. (NFPA).

7.    Protect cords from damage. To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors or windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.

8.    Check decorations for certification label. Decorations not bearing a label from an Independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Intertek (ETL) have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.

9.    Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking. Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires.

10.  Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house. Unattended candles are the cause of one in five home candle fires. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. 

11.  Never use paper or plastic containers to dispose of fireplace ashes. Only metal cans with lids should be used for ashes, they can also be left in the fireplace.

For more information about fire safety, visit www.nfpa.org or www.ready.gov

 

 


SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
It's Not
 

 

The Videos

Video Archive
Submit a News Tip
Submit a Photo

General

About Us
Contact Us
Advertise with Us
Privacy Statement
Terms and Conditions
Sitemap


divider


© 2010-2013, Its Relevant, LLC

It's Relevant® graphics, logos, scripts, terms of use, instructions, designs and other service names are the trademarks and copyright of It's Relevant, LLC.

Email: support@itsrelevant.com or Call: 855-487-7353